- Some content addresses specific factors related to teaching adults in career colleges and schools; however, the techniques and strategies presented are applicable in many classroom environments with various ages of students.
PIE ADVANTAGE – Many instructional strategies are relevant and adaptable to any learning environment depending on such factors as the experience of the learners, the time frame, the curriculum, etc.
- The content is timeless!
PIE ADVANTAGE – Effective teaching strategies do not wear out! New methods are introduced as technology and research advances, and keeping abreast of current practices is necessary. However, the strategies recommended in the PIE program are timeless and their value expands. During the sessions, participants think of more ideas and strategies.
- Narrated so that the facilitator does not have to be an expert on the topic.
PIE ADVANTAGE – The expertise is in the program! The campus education expert often does not have the advantage of research and development time. It’s all here and the program can be facilitated by anyone who enjoys working with people in a training setting. Many schools ask senior instructors to lead the session which gives them recognition and builds in-house loyalty. Being an expert on the topic is not required. Being enthusiastic, conducting the suggested activities and engaging others in conversation are the recommended facilitator skills!
- Animated so that its shelf life is unlimited.
PIE ADVANTAGE –Animation overcomes some of the limitations of real-life characters. For example, as clothing and hair styles change, people might consider the program to be outdated even though the content continues to have value.
- Draws humor and entertainment into the sessions so that they are enjoyable and more likely to capture and keep the attention of the group.
PIE ADVANTAGE – Animation adds an appealing visual dimension to the program which many “off the shelf” courses and online courses that are text heavy do not include. Humor within the animation adds levity which participants relate to enjoy.
- One topic per CD running from 1 and 2 hours
PIE ADVANTAGE – Focusing on one effective teaching topic provides a better opportunity for instructors to consider integration of the recommended strategies. One’s teaching style can be questioned as the participant works through the courses, so rather than provide many topics that can overwhelm the process of modifying that teaching style, incrementally considering new instructional approaches is recommended.
- Each CD can be divided into small segments of delivery for more than one session.
PIE ADVANTAGE – Time is often limited when conducting in-service sessions. Because of its design and delivery options, PIE is effectively incorporated into various teacher training scenarios. With the content of each CD presented in chapters, shorter sessions can take the information a chapter or two at a time. The chapter format also encourages the use of the CDs as refreshers during faculty meetings or other sessions taking only
10 – 15 minutes.
- Can be paused at any point to give the facilitator and the group opportunity to interact and discuss the topic as it relates to their school.
PIE ADVANTAGE – Every discussion point or strategy in the PIE content might not be applicable in every school or classroom. Pausing for discussion allows participants to evaluate the suitability of the presentation point and often generates adaptability ideas.
- Offers a complete instructor competency tool that can be used as a self-evaluation tool, a reference for training needs, a basis for instructor evaluation, etc.
PIE ADVANTAGE – As one of the support documents provided, the instructor competency document is a comprehensive tool that can guide faculty development both individually and as a group. (create a link to the tool in the support section)
- Offers a classroom observation form that relates to PIE topics.
PIE ADVANTAGE – A classroom observation tool should include the observable instructional behaviors and techniques that have been identified as the school’s standards. This PIE tool can be used exclusively or elements from it can be incorporated into the tool that already exists.
- Schools can select a topic for the entire faculty or develop individual instructor’s areas of concentration.
PIE ADVANTAGE – Because PIE is designed for group presentations or individual instructor study, schools have options depending on the desired implementation plan. Some schools assign a PIE course to new instructors to take individually to get them started on their professional development program immediately upon hire. Remember that when the schools owns the CD library, there is no cost associated with this approach. The online course is appealing if the school prefers this approach.
- Provides a resource file that contains a variety of support materials including a presenter’s guide, a session outline, case studies, ice breakers, a test, a completion certificate, etc.
PIE ADVANTAGE – This is a benefit of owning the CD library. Whether offering faculty in-service sessions to the group using the presenter mode or the individualized approach with the self-paced mode, all of the support materials needed are available on the CD. Printable documents provide the handout for the session and numerous materials that can be integrated into the session or used at a later time for review and reinforcement.
- PIE is a commitment to faculty development and it becomes a tool at the fingertips of the education supervisor. It is a building program – building classroom skills and effectiveness, faculty morale, a deeper understanding of the learners, more relevant insight into teaching and learning, enthusiasm for student retention and success, ways to use other school resources to keep students motivated and more.
PIE ADVANTAGE – Schools that demonstrate a commitment to faculty development by providing ongoing programs and opportunities for instructors to advance find a strong loyalty from the instructors. With the PIE program, that commitment from the school is ongoing and not occasional. PIE provides the basis for an instructional development program, not just an in-service or two. When integrated with other initiatives for campus effectiveness, PIE can create a culture of instructional excellence which in turn provides improvement in recruitment and retention!
- Gets new instructors immediately into the mindset and activity of training.
- PIE ADVANTAGE – By incorporating PIE into the new instructor activities, an immediate mindset and appreciation for improving classroom effectiveness is established. They also establish an understanding of the school and the students it serves.
- Offers content that veteran instructors find helpful.
PIE ADVANTAGE – All instructors, regardless of the extent of their teaching experience, will benefit from the PIE program. It will introduce new concepts as well as refresh and renew concepts that might have taken a backseat in the instructor’s methods. With a tendency to rely on teaching methods that are comfortable for the individual instructor, PIE will provide a challenge to make the classroom a more effective learning environment.
Through the facilitation of the PIE program, veteran instructors can assume a leadership role by sharing their experiences and providing mentoring to newer instructors.
- Helps all instructors understand the mission of the school and their impact on the school’s success.
PIE ADVANTAGE – While instructors are focused on their role in the classroom, the PIE program provides the opportunity to establish a solid understanding of the mission of the school and the students who choose to enroll. This understanding is essential for instructors to grasp the big picture of their role in the overall success of the school.
- Offers many tips and scenarios that instructors can relate to.
PIE ADVANTAGE – PIE is based on years of teaching experience and the research on effective teaching. Its primary focus is on developing and delivering instruction within learning environments that are designed for student success – not just for covering the material.
- Gives instructors strategies and teaching techniques that they can immediately integrate into classroom and labs.
PIE ADVANTAGE – Many of the instructional methods and tips involve little preparation. Others might involve a serious review and overhaul of how instruction is delivered in the school. If the lecture method that requires students to listen and take notes is the primary teaching method, PIE will present the opportunity to change that environment to one that emphasizes greater student engagement with a strong message that it’s not about teaching….it’s about learning!
- Part-time instructors no longer have to miss the session. They can take the CD home and feel a part of the program.
PIE ADVANTAGE – When group in-service sessions are conducted, inevitably an instructor or two can’t attend. There may be some part-time instructors whose hours don’t accommodate the session or another situation such as illness prevents someone from attending. If the program is a “once and done” session, those who miss it, miss it! At best, they might receive the handout and some overview comments, but the experience is over and any benefits from the minimal review are slim.
With the PIE CDs, the message carries on! Those folks who were unable to attend the session can view the program on the self-paced option of the CD, print the handout and view any other resources that were distributed positioning them to participate in further ongoing discussion and training. They are not left out!
- Supports faculty development compliance requirements.
PIE ADVANTAGE – Schools are strongly committed to meeting all regulatory compliance requirements. Just as strong is the desire to have the best instructors in front of their students. PIE provides the content and the process to satisfy requirements and to establish the standards for excellent delivery from all instructors every day!
- Keeping the faculty development program in-house allows for a better opportunity to integrate the concepts into the classroom.
PIE ADVANTAGE – When the faculty experience in-service sessions together, there is a greater opportunity to establish a culture of teaching excellence than when they pursue their training independently. Standards of instruction can be established and the faculty support each other by working together to implement those standards.
- Contributes to faculty morale and identity.
- PIE ADVANTAGE – In all businesses, people are the greatest asset. By investing in them through training and development programs, they feel that they are valued and appreciated. The investment in them and the encouragement to be the best they can be demonstrates to the instructors that the administration is interested in supporting their growth and professional development. The instructors better understand their role in the organization and recognize the opportunities they have to make positive contributions. Building their identity as a faculty creates cohesion and consistency which directly affects all aspects of the school.
- Each CD has two delivery options – one for a group and one for individual use.
PIE ADVANTAGE – In PIE’s software design, each CD has a presenter mode for use when conducting a group in-service and a self-paced mode for use by individual instructors. These options provide a lot of flexibility for schools in determining the best way to incorporate this faculty development tool.
- Moves instructors away from lecture dominance where students are not very active.
PIE ADVANTAGE – Teachers teach the way they were taught unless they are taught to teach differently. For most people who get into teaching, they experienced a dominance of the lecture method when they were students, so that’s the way they teach. Also, there is a greater sense of control (often a misconception) when the teacher is in front of the group with the students’ attention directed toward them, or so they hope!
The most effective instructional methods are those that engage students in the learning process, and the lecture method in its purest definition is not engaging. There are instructors who deliver outstanding lectures that captivate students and promote learning; however, these instructors are rare. The tendency for more instructors to “fall back” on the lecture method requiring students to listen and take notes is a more common practice than it should be.
- Is based on research and proven methodology.
PIE ADVANTAGE – Each PIE topic is carefully researched and practically presented. Developed by educators and educational leaders, the program combines research with the reality of classroom situations and offers numerous strategies for implementation.
- The group session allows for the sharing of ideas, opinions, experiences, etc.
PIE ADVANTAGE – When schools create the opportunity for faculty group in-service sessions, one of the best outcomes is the unification that carries beyond that day. Giving the instructors the opportunity to share the PIE program, the ideas generated, their previous experiences, implementation strategies, and much more creates the best foundation and motivation for instructional improvement.
- The group session involves the use of hand-held remotes making the session very interactive and engaging.
PIE ADVANTAGE – Using technology in the classroom can create one of the most effective learning environments for students. The PIE CD series integrates “KlickerZ®” hand-held remotes as an option for the group in-service mode.
- The same remotes can be used in the classroom with the students and Training Masters’ free software called “Klickerz.®”
PIE ADVANTAGE – By using “KlickerZ” in the group in-service session, the instructors experience the dynamic nature of the interaction. They will immediately recognize how this learning tool can engage students by creating motivational peaks and improved achievement! The instructors quickly acknowledge the difference between a teaching tool and a learning tool!
- Anyone in the organization who does presentations can use the remotes and the software to build questions into PowerPoint®, guide a group through a series of questions, or play the KlickerZ First Response game which reinforces learning and pumps energy into the participants.
PIE ADVANTAGE – The free KlickerZ software is easy-to-use! It is a PowerPoint add-in that appears in the tool bar for immediate access. With only a few clicks, interactive slides are done!
- Klickerz is being integrated into other products including curriculum and admissions recruitment programs.
PIE ADVANTAGE – Training Masters has created numerous free materials for use with KlickerZ! (create a link to the store)
- Only requires a computer, speakers, a projector, and an enthusiastic facilitator.
PIE ADVANTAGE – These required items are definitely available in every school!
- Encourages instructors to regularly evaluate their effectiveness and adapt or adopt strategies that are appropriate for the learners in their classrooms.
PIE ADVANTAGE – Teaching involves a number of personal elements such as personality, life philosophy, outlook, sensitivity, comfort factors, etc. When teachers realize that certain elements of their teaching style are reflective of their personal traits and characteristics, they can better evaluate their instructional effectiveness and strengthen their skills.
- When combined with solid follow-up and a serious commitment to dynamic classroom instruction in every classroom every day, retention improves.
PIE ADVANTAGE – Incorporating any faculty development program will not have the impact it can create unless there is a commitment to maintaining the improvement activity. Training is not and event; it’s a process! There must be a commitment to the process! The Training Masters team is prepared to assist client schools with the integration of that process so that PIE and all school programs have their greatest impact. It’s an added benefit that we proudly share!
- Can be viewed by the career services staff and any other staff members who do classroom presentations.
PIE ADVANTAGE – Any school staff members who get in front of groups from time to time will benefit from the tips offered in PIE. Becoming a good presenter requires good coaching and practice. PIE can be a fundamental source for improvement!
- Functions as a strong core program that is easily supplemented with additional materials, if desired.
PIE ADVANTAGE – There are many designs to delivering the PIE program. Starting the session, pausing for discussion, providing additional activities and materials can be incorporated during the presentation and/or during the continued follow-up process. It’s recommended that the educational supervisory staff provide a “customization” element when using the PIE program so that relevance to the topic by curriculum taught, levels of the learner, etc. is optimized.
- Provides the best opportunity for the improvement of classroom teaching and retention.
PIE ADVANTAGE – The ultimate goal of faculty training and development programs is the delivery of DYNAMIC CLASSROOM INSTRUCTION in every class every day! It is the key to student motivation and achievement. It is also the most effective retention tool!